Moving checklist – why is it important to make one?
Get a Free Moving Quote
Anyone who has ever moved knows from experience how difficult and demanding this job can be. That’s why it’s always the best idea to call professionals – your local movers Ottawa will do all the relocation work for you! With this, you will minimize your effort, stress and possible damage – not to mention save money! But, besides hiring moving experts, there is one more thing you need to do: make a moving checklist! Let’s see why it’s important to make one and how to do it!
Moving checklist – do you really need one?
Before you start making a moving checklist, let’s see what that really is. Well, it’s a checklist of things you need to do before and during your relocation. Also, it can be a list of things you may need, like renting storage in Ottawa or transportation during your move, etc.
Here are things that can be on your moving checklist:
- Provide parking space for your car or moving vehicle in advance. This will make it easier for a moving company and you once the moving starts.
- Choose a date to move and announce it to neighbors in the building – both in the one you are relocating from and to. In this way, you will be in a good relationship with the people around you.
- Measure and check the dimensions of doors, staircases and other things in your new apartment, as well as the large furniture you plan to move without dismantling. This will help your movers and you once you start loading your items.
- Make a list of things you will need while packing. Those can include: moving boxes, felt pens, stickers, paper (newspapers) and wrapping foil. Check with your moving company if they can provide you with packing material or even some free boxes.
- Before packing things in cardboard boxes, secure the bottom of the box with adhesive tape to avoid scratching the floor. Remember, when packing things in cardboard boxes, always put heavier items on the bottom and lighter on the top – in this way the boxes will be more stable and the weight of the boxes will be evenly distributed.
- Label the contents of each moving box – this will make it quicker and easier to unpack after moving.
- Measure the entrances and check that the furniture can be moved from the room from which it is being moved to. If this is not possible, disassemble the furniture before moving.
- Turn off electronic devices such as computers, TVs, and audio systems the day before to adjust the temperature for moving – especially if you move in the winter. This will make sure your electronic devices are safe from damage and shortage of power. Also, take photos of connecting cables to your computer and other electrical devices. In this way, after moving to a new space, you can easily connect the cables to their exact location.
- If you are moving the freezer or refrigerator, first defrost it and clean it a few days before moving. Temporarily store frozen food at neighbors or friends.
- Wrap the cutlery trays with wrapping foil and simply transfer them. This saves space in cardboard boxes and the time for stacking and packaging.
- Contact your network operator to arrange a date for moving out and maybe switching your phone number and Internet connection.
- Before you move, make your children learn their new address in Ottawa and route to public transportation.
- Important: always keep your personal and important things by your side – things such as medicines, documents, keys, artwork, money, jewelry, etc. It’s best to move these items yourself or get moving insurance just in case.
What to do before even making a list of things you need to do?
Before even making a checklist, be sure to go to each room and sort things you won’t pack. So check your kitchen, basement, garage, etc. When there are fewer things in your home to pack, you can reduce moving costs; there will be a lot less packing and less money to pay for your relocation. Once you clean your place, you can start making your moving plan on paper.
Find write down things that are fragile – they will need special care. If you have antiques, art objects, paintings, and other valuables, they will need special packing. The best option would be to hire a professional moving company or at least call them for a free moving estimate. This will give you an idea of how much your relocation will cost. Professionals usually suggest crates – these are wooden boxes, specially designed for an item to hold your possessions. These boxes are made according to the type and size of the item you need to pack.
Other items to consider
As we said, take special care of your electronics too as they may be very valuable. These items can be anything from computers, printers, kitchen appliances, TVs, etc. Make a list of these items and try to find their manual instructions. This will help you in taking proper care of electronics while moving. Either way, when planning to move out, listing things is important as there may be special requirements for packing.
Once you list your electronics, make a list of bulky items in your place. Make note of any larger items such as your king-size bed and your mattress. As you may guess, bulky furniture can also be tricky. There are some pieces that are large or heavy and cannot be moved in any other way but disassembled. And do you know how to disassemble and reassemble your furniture? If you are unsure or do not do it properly, it’s best to leave it to movers. As you see, without a checklist, you can’t be sure what will go wrong! Good luck!