There are many things you have to keep in mind when you’re relocating. Whether it is concerning your old house, the new one or anything in between – it can become exhausting. On top of that, you have to worry about your moving budget. No one wants to spend a fortune simply relocating from one place to another. It is a task that has to happen but can become quite expensive. On average, people spend anywhere between $4,000 up to $10,000 on their relocation! If this is your first time moving, these numbers can shock you. However, you have to collect all the aspects of a move, not only the bill from your moving company. Don’t fret – there are many ways of saving money when moving. We’ve got them all summed up for you in this article!
Saving money when moving – is it really that easy?
Our answer is simple – yes, it is! With good preparation, you can save a lot of cash in your move. There are always extremes, and you can be extra frugal with this process, but there is no need to. To us, saving money when moving means that you will only spend it on things that you really need to. This means that the final amount you spend on relocation will ultimately depend on your own needs and the type of the move. Moving long-distance and internationally will undoubtedly be a bit more pricey than a simple local move. This is because moving companies have to count in the distance and the logistics of your move into their final bill. However, there are ways to save a little bit even in these situations. Read on to learn how!
Is hiring a moving company a waste of relocation money?
The most obvious way to save cash during relocation is to move by yourself. Of course, there are friends, family members, and neighbors that will be willing to assist you. With their help, you can easily pack up and move wherever you want to. On the other hand, when you do not have anyone nearby who can help, that’s when you should get in touch with a moving company. Some may think that hiring professional movers is a waste of money but hear us out. Once you hire a reputable and experienced moving company, you will spend some money, but save yourself a lot of time and nerves. These movers will take care of your entire moving process and you won’t feel the stress of it at all. This, we believe, is priceless.
What are some ways of saving money when moving with an experienced company?
Once you’ve hired proper moving help, you may think that the price is set. However, that is not always the case. Whichever company you choose to go with, you can still stay below your set budget for the relocation. For instance, one way is to move in the off-season. That is, during the fall and winter months. Most of the people opt to move during the summer, and that is when the prices are higher and the demand is enormous. If you can choose, maybe moving in the winter might just be a perfect solution for you. Not only will it save you some cash, but you will be able to pick the perfect moving date. Also, your movers will be less busy, and they could focus a lot more on your family and your move.
You can also save some cash when getting moving supplies!
Gathering all the moving supplies you need can also drain your relocation budget quite a bit. When you think about it, you really do need a fair amount of packing supplies for all your belongings. Here are a few examples:
- Moving boxes. Boxes and/or bins are necessary for packing and the easiest to load onto a moving truck or in your car. You can save some cash by using second-hand boxes that stores don’t need anymore, or by renting moving bins from a company.
- Pack your tech in their original packages! This will not only save you money when moving but will protect the item in question the best.
- Buy tape and bubble wrap when they go on sale – you’ll need lots of them!
- There is no need to get the really fancy markers for the boxes or a label maker. A simple black Sharpie will do just fine!
What other expenses can you expect when relocating?
If it’s your first time moving house, you may not take all of these expenses into mind. That’s why we’re here – to help you prepare better for your relocation and save some money doing so! Other things you’ll have to keep in mind (and spend money on) can be:
- Cleaning supplies/services. You have to clean your previous home in order for it to go on the market or be ready for new tenants.
- Airplane tickets or fuel – whichever way you prefer to travel in order to reach your desired destination.
- Storage unit rentals – sometimes, you won’t bring all of these boxes into your new home. Some of them will end up in storage facilities!
- Deposit for your new place, in case you are deciding to rent.
- If there are any repairs that you need to do in your old home, that should be accomplished before you move out.
Saving money when moving doesn’t have to be complicated. When you start your relocation prep on time, and you work alongside your movers, you can still stay within your set relocation budget!